I had one of the nicest people ever on ravelry send me some free alpaca roving! She said that the smell was something she was allergic to (I'm not sure what it is but it is definitely smelly). It so soft though and she also sent along some spindles to try out. It was one of those things that really just makes your whole week great! It’s not often that someone is that thoughtful and kind and expects nothing in return except that you pay it forward someday.
I have never dyed alpaca or roving before and I thought maybe some fruity kool-aid goodness could help with the smell. I split one of the braids in half and I dyed it in the crockpot. After I was all done my boyfriend really wanted to try it so he used the other half. Mine is the red/purple/blue combo and his is the every color combo. He can’t wait to spin it up and I can’t wait either because it’s going to be so awesome!
Meanwhile at home:
My tomatoes are continuing to grow and there are even a few flowers now! Yay! I also planted some green bean seeds but it’s only been about 5 days and it still just looks like I’m watering an egg carton full of dirt.
Today I stumbled upon the farmers market in downtown Salem. I knew there was one that existed; I just didn’t know it was on Wednesdays. I ended up buying a few tomato plants and a jalapeno plant and then went on a quest for larger pots, some soil, and some kind of table or bench to put the plants on. I have a tiny, second floor apartment with a small balcony that gets full sun most of the day. The perfect place for my plants to live. I might need another table out there to give them some space but they'll be ok until I can find another thrift store table.
I wrote up the scarf pattern today and took some pictures of the finished scarf. I’m naming it the Ramona scarf (after my mom who will be getting this scarf for mother’s day). Before I print it out or publish it I need to measure my scarf again and I need to proof read one more time. I should probably have someone else read it too. It might not be nearly as clear as I think it is.
Monday I’m going to my sister’s so she can help me with making the tags for my yarn. I’m hoping that by Tuesday I’ll be making my Etsy listings! I have a laundry basket full of prepped yarn that just needs to be tagged. Well there’s still the yardage issue… but I’ll get that worked out on Monday or Tuesday as well. As of right now my Etsy to do list is: figure out my yardage, create and print tags, attach those tags and label them with the yarn info, create listings, create a ravelry ad to announce my grand opening, and then watch the sales (and money) roll in. That last one is mostly wishful thinking ;)
I’m still washing, weighing, measuring, and documenting my yarn. The washing and weighing are fairly straight forward. Even the documenting isn’t bad because I think I have a pretty good set up in place for that. It’s the measuring that’s getting me. I measured around my yarn swift, then count how many times around my yarn went, then multiply. From that measurement I should be able to get the yards per gram for all of the yarn that came from that sweater. The kink in this plan appeared when I did this measurement for a few skeins of the same kind of yarn and came up with different numbers. One was 1 yard per gram and the other was 3… That is a big difference when the skein is 70 grams. My next plan is to carefully measure out one yard of each kind of yarn and then measure that and hopefully I’ll come up with something a little more accurate. I know my measurements will be approximate but I want them to at least be close!
I work, take care of my babies, read, and maybe sometimes knit.